My good friend HIP Dave (HIP standing for Hardcore Irish Person) posted up his goals after reading my post about goals setting. I had contemplated doing this with my goal post, but at the time decided it was a little too personal. I have changed my mind as I was motivated to see the goals my friend was focusing on this year.
I break my goals into 4 different categories: Career, Investing, Physical and Personal. Some of my goals are too personal, but I will post up the majority of them. The following are my 2007 goals.
- Finish my research work for the book – this is already done. It was a great experience and the book will be coming out soon (at which time I will blog about it)
- Take the GMAT this summer
- Look into taking some computer science classes – I have done this, but I don’t know if it is going to work into my current career path at this time. Still figuring it out.
- Compile ideas about next career move
- Undercommit / Overdeliver at work
- Apply for out of my league positions
Money / Investing
- Save and invest [x] this year
- Focus on the difference between needs and wants
- Sell or get rid of items that I don’t use
- Focus on simplicity
- 5.12c Redpoint – ha ha … this is a pretty stout goal, but I am throwing it out there
- Boulder V6
- Be able to lead 5.10 trad climb
- Run a half marathon – I already did this in a training run, but was hurt for the real race. I think I want to do another half or full this fall
- Take out beginner climbers once per week – when I started to climb I couldn’t find any partners because I was a beginner. My now main partner took me even though I was a beginner. I like to try and reciprocate the kindness she showed me.
- Travel to a new international destination each year
- Make an international move next year – being gone for at least six months to a year. I would love any feedback on how to make this into a career move. I would like to move to Australia, New Zealand or Hong Kong. But I am pretty much open to anywhere.
- Volunteer once per week – I have been volunteering at 10,000 villages, KCPW and I organized the SLCA fundraiser. From the research I did for the book, I have a lot of info on companies and noticed that some of the companies don’t have any info on Wikipedia. I think I am going to focus on entering this data for a while.
- Write a handwritten letter to a friend on a monthly basis
- Read 15 books this year
- Focus on energy efficiency
- Scan in all pictures so all photos are digital
- Go to bed at 10:30, wake up at 6:30
- Get CPR training
- Donate blood twice a year
- Start implementing meditation and journaling
In order to reach my annual goals every Sunday I set weekly goals to ensure I am pointing in the right direction.
HIP Dave, thanks for the inspiration to really post my goals to the universe.